Sharks boss JP Pietersen has proved that backing youngsters with raw talent in the green and gold can pay off for the Springboks at Australia 2027, writes DEVIN HERMANUS.
Pietersen knows a thing or two about being thrown in at the deep end young.
The former Bok backline star was 20 when he made the 2007 World Cup-winning squad, scoring three tries – including a brace against England – and producing a tournament-saving tackle on Fijian Sireli Bobo in the quarter-finals.
His long-time Sharks teammate Frans Steyn was also 20 that year, becoming the youngest player to win a World Cup and kicking that famous long-range penalty in the final.
Pietersen hasn’t forgotten what it felt like to be trusted early and as the Sharks’ head coach, he’s making sure his young charges get the same opportunity he did.
With first-choice flyhalf Jordan Hendrikse sidelined, Pietersen handed 19-year-old Vusi Moyo his Vodacom URC debut against Zebre at Kings Park on Saturday. The Junior Boks pivot repaid the faith immediately, contributing 15 points via a try and five conversions in a commanding 54-19 win.
“He was a bit nervous in the beginning, which is normal – he’s only 19,” Pietersen said afterwards. “But to put his hand up the way he did, it’s just beautiful to see.”
JP: Balance of Sharks group is beautiful
Moyo wasn’t alone. Zekhethelo Siyaya (19) danced through the Zebre defence at fullback after impressing at 10 the previous week. The 20-year-old Jaco Williams finished sharply on the wing. Ex-Junior Boks speedster Litelihle Bester and Jurenzo Julius, who bagged a hat-trick against Benetton, also caught the eye.
“It’s special to see what Zekhethelo Siyaya has done in three games,” Pietersen said. “All I did was give him the opportunity.”
That, in essence, is Pietersen’s message to Rassie Erasmus: back them, and they deliver.
MORE: Rassie rewards Embrose, Mahashe with camp call-up
Siyaya and Williams have been invited to the Bok alignment camp in Cape Town this week. Erasmus has convened a 40-man group featuring 10 uncapped players, several under 25 – Paul de Villiers (23), Sibabalwe Mahashe (22), Bathobele Hlekani (21), Riley Norton and Haashim Pead (both 20). Joining them is prop Zachary Porthen, who made his Test debut last year at 22 and has three caps.
With 23 Tests now under his belt, Canan Moodie was the youngest member of the 2023 World Cup-winning squad, aged 20. The legendary Schalk Burger was 20 when he debuted at the 2003 World Cup, having not even pulled on a Stormers jersey. Pietersen and Steyn were the same age four years later.
Youth, given proper direction, rarely disappoints.
The Sharks finished a frustrating 10th in the URC this season, but Pietersen is building something.
“We’ve got the pieces now,” he said. “It’s just how we can put it together.”
ALSO: Contepomi targets Bok scalp with Barbarians
Erasmus would do well to note JP’s process, and the kids driving it. The Boks kick off a 13-match 2026 season against the Barbarians on 20 June, before Nations Championship Tests against England, Scotland and Wales and a blockbuster four-Test Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry series against the All Blacks.
Getting the four-time world champions’ next generation aligned and ready to step up couldn’t be more timely.
Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images
The post JP’s got a message for Rassie appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.
Sharks boss JP Pietersen has proved that backing youngsters with raw talent in the green and gold can pay off for the Springboks at Australia 2027, writes Devin Hermanus.
The post JP’s got a message for Rassie appeared first on SA Rugby magazine. Read More



