Currie Cup ‘beast’ costs Stormers more stars

Stormers director of rugby John Dobson’s depth and reinforcements for next season has taken a huge blow with long-term injuries to key players in the Currie Cup.

Scrumhalf Imad Khan is already ruled out with a serious knee injury and veteran Dewaldt Duvenage sidelined with a broken arm. Now, the Stormers XXIII have been hit hard with loose forward Keke Morabe suffering another setback.

Speaking ahead of Friday’s clash against the Vodacom Bulls in Pretoria, coach Tom Dawson-Squibb confirmed that Morabe, who has endured a difficult run of injuries over the past three seasons, could be out for eight weeks with a facial issue.

TEAM: Stormers lose halfbacks for Loftus battle

He is one of five players laid low in last week’s defeat by the Pumas, along with captain and flyhalf Jean-Luc du Plessis and scrumhalf Stefan Ungerer.

“Unfortunately, Keke took a shoulder directly to his cheek, so I think he’ll be out for eight weeks,” Dawson-Squibb said.

“JL had to have surgery on his hand, so I’d imagine he’ll be out for some time, at least six weeks.

“They initially suspected that Stefan had a shoulder injury, but the scans suggest it isn’t that. There’s some neural pain from his neck. If they can clear that up, it shouldn’t be too serious.”

TEAM: Winless Bulls gamble on young guns

Back-rower Wandile Mlaba could return in a week or two, outside back JC Mars after one week, and lock Gary Porter and fullback Dylan Miller are also close to returns.

But the injury toll has left the Stormers short in the second row.

“We had Gerbrandt Grobler signed, and he’s injured. Then Gary Porter gets injured. We’ve had a little bit of bad luck,” Dawson-Squibb said.

“Salmaan Moerat has left, Ruben van Heerden has left and JD Schickerling is injured, and BJ Dixon, who can cover lock, is with the Springboks. You’re taking some lock stocks out.”

NEL: Stormers ready for north-south war

He believes there are still options for the lineout, with Luan Botha having called the shots for Maties and Dylan de Leeuw and Louw Nel also able to contribute.

The Stormers’ defeat in Nelspruit left them sixth on the table with two rounds before the semi-finals.

“It’s the nature of the beast, isn’t it? Last week was exceptional in my career; to have five guys go off in 50 minutes, all with injuries that ruled them out for the following week,” Dawson-Squibb said.

“But, we want to give guys opportunities in this competition. Sometimes you do it through rotation, and sometimes injuries force it.”

Photo: Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images

The post Currie Cup ‘beast’ costs Stormers more stars appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.

Stormers director of rugby John Dobson’s depth and reinforcements for next season has taken a huge blow with long-term injuries to key players in the Currie Cup.
The post Currie Cup ‘beast’ costs Stormers more stars appeared first on SA Rugby magazine. Read More

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *