Ricardo Duarttee has been handed a late Blitzboks recall after Ronald Brown was ruled out of South Africa’s SVNS World Championship campaign through injury.
Duarttee, who featured in the Blitzboks’ title-winning campaigns in Cape Town and Perth earlier this season, travelled with the squad to Europe on Sunday ahead of tournaments in Valladolid and Bordeaux.
MORE: Fit-again duo bolster Blitzboks
The versatile sweeper famously slotted the winning conversion against Fiji in Perth and now returns as South Africa chase the overall SVNS World Championship crown.
“It felt like a prayer being heard,” said Duarttee.
“The highs of Perth aside, I was not in a good place then and had to take some personal responsibility to improve some of the decisions I was making at the time.”
The 28-year-old said a period of self-reflection helped change his mindset before earning another shot in the national setup.
“I am very grateful for this belated opportunity, and I hope I can deliver the performances and role in the team that is expected of me.”
ALSO: Jobb’s redemption story fuels Blitzboks charge
Blitzboks coach Philip Snyman had already recalled Gino Cupido and Dewald Human to the travelling squad.
South Africa open their Pool A campaign against Great Britain before further clashes with Kenya and Australia.
Blitzboks’ Pool A fixtures:
Friday 29 May
12:34pm: Great Britain
5:08pm: Kenya
Saturday, 30 May
1:23pm: Australia
Photo: David van Der Sandt/Gallo Images
The post Injury blow for Blitzboks ahead of Valladolid appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.
Ricardo Duarttee has been handed a late Blitzboks recall after Ronald Brown was ruled out of South Africa’s SVNS World Championship campaign through injury.
The post Injury blow for Blitzboks ahead of Valladolid appeared first on SA Rugby magazine. Read More



